Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Friday, July 05, 2013
Speed Dating at RomCon
I have to admit - I had no idea what to expect. Even though someone can tell you about it, there's nothing like actual experience. So, I went into this particular activity with no idea what to expect.

So, here is the concept. A bunch of authors are sitting at tables around the room - much like a booksigning. As the conference participants come in, they take seats and get a chance for a 2-minute one-on-one with the author.

Now, if you've ever clocked it, two minutes is not a lot of time. It's barely enough time for the author to tell the reader about their books and hand out swag (bookmarks, trinkets, etc.) and, unfortunately, not anywhere near enough time for the reader to ask questions. I found this to be a drawback.

I'm not a very social person. I don't do well in crowds - but I love getting to know people one-on-one, so Speed Date An Author should have been just my cup of tea. But it wasn't. There just wasn't enough time. I enjoyed the time I had, but it seemed that just as the conversation with a reader was getting interesting, it was time for them to move on to the next author.

I don't fault RomCon. They want to give readers and authors the widest exposure to each other, and with so many authors, there is only so much time for readers to get to know authors in a formal setting. I do think that they should look into ways to expand it to five minutes, though.

So, that's my take on my first experience at speed dating. It was fun and the readers I spoke with were great. And, since I was a newbie, I was glad to be involved at all.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)