Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Teaser Tuesday #5
I was out of town last week with no internet, so you didn't get a teaser. And, I will be unavailable for the next two weeks. (Is Summer over yet?) So, here's a teaser from my August release, Family Scandals.  Scroll down for the cover and blurb.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Corrie…Amy…wait!” He put one hand over hers on the handle, the other on the door above her head. She froze, then put her head against the door as her shoulders slumped. “We need to…talk.”
Her response was so soft, he almost didn’t hear it. “About what?”
About what? His head spun with the possible responses, starting with Why aren’t you dead? Knowing he couldn’t ask that, he responded with the obvious. “Us.”
She stiffened and raised her head. Still staring at the door, she said, “There is no ‘us’, my lord.”
“What?” He didn’t believe he’d heard correctly.
She took a deep breath and let it out in a sigh before turning to lean back against the door. Licking her lips and unaware of the effect of that action on him, she explained, “I only came down here to tell you I wasn’t…um…dead, but I didn’t expect…” Her voice trailed off and she dropped her eyes to her hands worrying the tie on her robe.
“What did you expect?” He straightened, removing his hand from the door. At least she was speaking to him.
“I don’t know.” She paused then looked up at him and gave him a weak smile. “I was hoping that at least you’d be glad I wasn’t dead.”
“In that, at least, you were correct.” He had to restrain himself from saying more and waited for her to continue.
“I was diverted when I saw Douglas’s watch.” Something she still held, he noted. “Then, when I opened it, I…” Her voice tapered off and tears welled again.
He wasn’t proof against the tears. “Don’t Corrie—Amy—” He halted midsentence, then grinned to lighten his words. “What should I call you?”
She dashed away the tears with the back of her hand, then replied, “Corrie will be just fine. Since I’m only temporary, it wouldn’t do for you to be too familiar with me.”
“Temporary! Hell, you’re my wife.” His outburst startled not only himself, but she immediately stiffened and pressed herself back against the door. Contrition washed over him. “Sorry. I’m afraid my language goes to…um…the dogs when I’m agitated. I don’t mean to upset you, but Corrie you must realize you can no longer work for my brother.”
She lifted her chin and looked straight at him. “Why not?”
Why not? They were married, for starters. His wife had no need to work. Besides, he’d promised Douglas to watch out for her. That meant, at the very least, he’d take care of her.
“Because my wife has no need to work.”
“But I’m not your wife. Not really.”
He could easily solve the not really piece. His bedroom was just down the hall. But the first part of her statement…
“Of course you’re my wife. Are you saying you didn’t participate in the ceremony in Little Tympington?”
“You know I did,” she replied. “But I also know that it couldn’t possibly have been valid. There were no banns read or special license obtained, it was performed in the middle of the night, and I was only fourteen. How much did you bribe the vicar to perform an illegal ceremony?”


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)