Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Guest Blog by Diane Craver

Today my guest is Diane Craver, author of Marrying Mallory. Don't forget to check out the blurb and excerpt at the end. And now. . .


Why I Wrote Marrying Mallory

After reading many romances, I decided it was important to have a character with a physical defect, such as a large nose. Of course, not all heroines in romances are flawless beauties, but usually the main female characters have smaller noses. I decided that Mallory would not have a perfect nose. After her marriage ended, she would then decide it was time to do something for herself.

Mallory is a realistic character because I used my personal feelings in writing what she desired. I got into her mind completely because I know what it's like not to have a cute, small nose.

In 2005, my high school daughter and I went to see a plastic surgeon. We both wanted to have rhinoplasty surgery. Just like in my book, Marrying Mallory, the doctor did computer imaging of our noses. I loved the pictures showing how my nose would look shorter after surgery. He also added what my profile would look like with a chin implant, which definitely was an improvement. The doctor also showed us how he would narrow my daughter's wide nose. A year later, after much thought and prayer, I decided to go ahead and pay for my daughter to have nose surgery before she left for college. I knew it would immensely help her self-esteem. Of course, I wanted surgery, too, but decided the expense was too much for both of us to have it done. Geez, I was hoping the surgeon would give us a two for one price. I don't regret it at all, because my daughter was so much happier about her appearance after surgery.

My large nose hasn't kept me from enjoying life. I've been happily married for thirty-four years to the same great guy and we've been blessed with six children. But I'll admit if I had extra money to spend on my appearance, I'd still love to have rhinoplasty.

For Readers: Is there anything you would like to change about your appearance? Have you considered plastic surgery?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marrying Mallory
Now available from Desert Breeze Publishing

Blurb:

Is Mallory Harrington jinxed because her name means luckless? Things have gone wrong for Mallory since she was a small child. All she ever wanted was to have a complete family and live happily ever after. It appears she has it all when she marries Toby Harrington and they have a son. Unfortunately, their marriage ends when Toby has an affair with his law partner. After their divorce, Mallory feels guilt that she couldn't forgive Toby for his affair. As a Christian, she should be able to forgive him for his sin.

Mallory decides to do something for herself, and get a surgical procedure that she's always wanted. What she doesn't expect is her instant attraction to her surgeon.

Sometimes faith is about accepting what can’t be changed and grabbing what God offers her. Life must go on.


Excerpt:

Her luck was about to change. Mallory Harrington could feel it in her bones. In the past, she’d felt cursed at times. Too many things had gone wrong in her thirty-two years of life. It’d started when her father left. He never even said good-bye, but at age five she knew he wasn’t coming back. He hated living in Findlay, Ohio. They couldn’t go with him because her mother refused to leave Grandma.

As a seventh grader, Mallory climbed a tree to get a football for the little neighbor boy. After dislodging it from a high limb, she tossed the ball to him. Mallory started her long climb down, but slipped before reaching the ground. A barbed wire fence ripped her cheek during the fall. The jagged opening required thirty stitches.

Then she was robbed of being valedictorian because a few weeks ahead of graduation, another student’s grades were a little higher. She’d counted on receiving a full academic scholarship to college.

When she married Toby Harrington, she finally felt blessed. Doubly blessed when she gave birth to their son, Joshua. But her happiness ended the night Toby asked for a divorce.

All she ever wanted was to have a complete family and live happily ever after. Was she jinxed? The name Mallory meant luckless. If her mother had realized the meaning of her name, would it have made a difference? Would she still have named her Mallory?

Don’t be silly. My name didn’t cause my marriage to end. I’ll get what I want in my life. I’ve already accomplished the first challenge. I can’t wait to share my good news with Elizabeth and Heather. She prayed, Thank you, Lord, for my friends, Elizabeth Wright and Heather Richards. They are a constant in my life, just like You.

She glanced at her kitchen clock to see if it was time to meet them and felt a surge of excitement because she saw it was. She couldn’t wait to share her important news. Five-year-old Josh was at Toby’s so she was free to go to dinner with her friends. She was glad they’d decided on the Olive Garden restaurant which was within minutes of her house.

Before leaving, she grabbed the paper by the computer. She stared for a minute at the attractive man with black hair. I’m glad I printed his bio and photo to show Heather and Elizabeth. As Mallory held the paper for a minute, she realized that this man would change her life…if she went ahead with the plan. After folding and shoving it in her purse, she headed out, anxious to leave to give her incredible news in person.

Visit Diane on the Web.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:
Blogger Diane Craver said...
Thank you, Denise! I'm happy you invited me to be a guest blogger.

Blogger StephB said...
Diane, I can tell this is close to your heart. I think you've done a great job expressing Mallory's feelings as to why she wants the plastic surgery. I think it's a very realistic story and will connect with a lot of readers.

Smiles
Steph

Blogger Diane Craver said...
Thanks so much, Steph,for your comments. I appreciate you stopping by. I hope readers can relate to MARRYING MALLORY. I'm glad I wrote it!

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Sorry to be so late, Diane. Today has just been CRAZY!! I'm so glad you got a chance to stop by my blog today. Marrying Mallory sounds great and I plan to pick it up soon.

Thanks for being here.

Blogger Sue Perkins said...
Great article and excerpt Diane. You did what any mother would do and put your child first when it came to the surgery. Well done with Marrying Mallory, definitely one to put on my "to read" list.

Blogger Diane Craver said...
Hi Denise,

Thank you - I'm glad you want to buy Marrying Mallory. Nice to hear! :)

You have a lovely blog! I've enjoyed being here today.

Blogger Diane Craver said...
Hi Sue,

Thank you! I'm glad Mallory's on your list. :)

I decided my daughter was young yet and it was more important for her to have surgery.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)