Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Conference Wrap-up
So, where do I start?

How about if I take out my frustration on the airline that changed a reservation at the last minute and didn't bother to tell anyone? I still feel bad about it, but Christine Witthohn seemed to take it in stride and, even though she missed an entire day of the conference, still managed to have a great time. Her workshop on maximizing your chances with an agent was filled with little golden nuggets of information. My favorite one: Do Your Homework!! It's nice to think you might want an agent, but make sure the agent you decide you want represents the kind of stuff you write.

Rachel Gibson was wonderful. I missed her keynote speech, but heard that it was great. Now is the time I should get on my soapbox about recording speeches. I would loved to have heard hers.

Amanda Bergeron from Avon talked about queries. What an education. I learned that some things I've done in the past have been right, but others. . .well, let's just say I won't be doing them again!

And then there was Kelly Mortimer. With energy and flair, she taught us about editing. Her editing guide should be used by everyone. I know I'll be referring to it again and again.

And those weren't the only guests I learned from.

I learn something new every time I listen to RaeAnne Thayne. She is a fount of information and advice.

I'm running out of superlatives to describe all the great presenters, but I don't want to leave out Nicole Jordan, Lynn Kurland, Elizabeth Lane, and Melissa Mayhue (whose workshop I missed as well).

In addition, the accommodations and meals were wonderful. Park City is a beautiful little town in the mountains and The Lodges at Deer Valley provided the perfect setting. I even sold all but two of my books at the booksigning.

So, now what? Well, I'm home and polishing "The Scarred Heir" to send off, working on some other projects as well, and "thinking through" a new book. I'm beginning to work though the background, goals, and motivation of my hero and heroine. We'll see how far I can get this week. I'm jumping the gun a bit when it comes to starting to write, but this is the best time to do it - when the excitement is there.

Wish me luck. I'll put a counter in the sidebar once I start writing.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)