Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Change
It's inevitable. At least that's what I hear. I hate it, anyway.

I had to buy a new computer. Now, I love new gadgets. I'm the "gadget person" in my house. My hubby just doesn't have the patience to deal with them. Case in point - I bought him a Kindle for his birthday. He liked it for about three days, then something didn't happen the way he expected and it was suddenly defective and he was going to send it back. I asked him what happened - something didn't download. Went back and checked and, you guessed it, user error! So, we corrected what he'd done wrong and he kept it for another two weeks. Then, it seems the battery was draining too fast. Now, this is a legitimate problem, but instead of returning it for a replacement, he didn't want to bother with it - so it went back for a refund. *sigh* Now, of course, that means he didn't get a birthday present. (Not that he cares, but I do.)

So, my computer starts having issues. Just for the record, I had taken it to the shop in July and they gave it a clean bill of health. It's old, though, so I knew it was just a matter of time. So, I'd decided I would buy a new computer around Christmas - so I could get the new Windows 7 instead of Vista. No luck. The computer started freezing up on me and not booting up. I did a System Restore, scanned the disk for errors and fixed everything, did a registry scan and fix. No luck. So, off we went to buy a new computer.

Now, I don't need a big powerful computer, so I wasn't looking for the newest and biggest thing out there. In the end I got this one. I didn't need a new monitor. My old machine only had 40G hard drive with 2G of RAM, was over five years old, and I hadn't even half-filled the hard drive. I still have to go through the hassle of taking off all the crapware that came on it (you know, all the free trials that try to hook you into buying the full version once you've gotten used to using it), but that's a minor hassle. And I uninstall them without even opening them. No temptation. Goodbye Microsoft Office (I use WordPerfect Office). Goodbye HP Games (King.com is addicting enough.) Goodbye Norton (I prefer AVG).

The best thing about it all? I have an online back up service for my files (Carbonite.com) and they are being restored as I am writing this blog. So, I lost NOTHING!!!! Thank you, Angela James.

The only major hassle I had was installing my wireless adapter. The CD apparently didn't have drivers my computer could install. Thankfully, I had another computer that I could access the Internet on and download the updated ones. It only took me 3 freaking hours to find the right one!!!!

I suspect I would have been suspicious if EVERYTHING went smoothly.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)