Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Monday, July 20, 2009
Promotion
I read a blog last week about all the hats that a writer needs to wear to be more than a book on a shelf in a bookstore (if you're lucky) these days. Of all the hats the person mentioned - no, I don't remember them all - the one I don't wear very well is the "promotion" one. It just doesn't fit well, so I tend not to put it on. But, then something happens, like a new release and I have to dig it out of the closet and balance it on my head for a while. It's a terrible fit.

Regardless, I have to just buckle down and do it. So, this week I will be looking for opportunities for ad space, trying to blog more and read more blogs, becoming more active on my loops, etc. It's a terrible way to do something, but, like many people who tend to put off doing something they don't want to do, I kept putting it off until now there's almost no time left to start any buzz.

On the other hand, I tend to do what I might prefer to see when it comes to promoting yourself. I admit it, I hate it when I see the same promo posts on loops and blogs for the same book for three months before it releases. By the time the book is actually available, I'm already sick of it and have no interest in buying it. Indeed, by the time the book is ready for release, I've probably already stopped reading the promo posts, and have gotten into the habit of skipping over the author's posts if they are labeled "Promo".

So, what's an author to do? It seems to me you're d***ed if your do and d***ed if you don't when it comes to promoting your book and luring potential buyers into checking it out. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know what I do and don't like - and those are the things I don't like to do. No wonder the "Promotion" hat doesn't fit.

So, a friend featured me on her blog last week. If you want to know a little more about next month's release, The Earl, check out Laura Hamby's blog. That may be all there is for another week or two.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:
Blogger Lyn Cash said...
Totally agree. I hate promo - my own - lol. Love blogging about someone else now and then. It just feels good...and right.

What I hate (and I pissed one gal off in a major way a couple of years ago for this) are the blog ho's. Those who just come on to say hi, come over to my place or the ones who only talk about themselves. If you come visit me, SAY HELLO, right? Don't just drop off your bookmarks.

Promo is hard enough when you have to compete with someone else on your own blog - lol.

Okay, off of the soap box. I was just nodding while reading you and going yep, yep.

Your last cover, by the way, was beautiful. Not that I've seen you with a bad one. Ever.

Hope you're recovered from your trip and that you have lots of great photos and memories of it.

:)

~ Sunny Lyn

Blogger Lyn Cash said...
by the way - you are really getting good with those slide thingies or whatever you call the graphics...quite catchy, that one that greets us when we first hit your page.

*grin*

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)