Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Thoughtful Thursday - Reviews
I have often wondered if book reviews really help sales. I know that I, and many others, love it when a review comes out on one of my books. Especially if that review is a good one. But, and this is the million dollar question, does it help sales? Because, after all, many authors would like to make a living on their writing. So the question is a valid one, I think.

It can't hurt, you might say. Maybe. I guess it all depends on the review/reviewer. I've heard it said that getting a bad review on some sites can make your sales soar because everyone wants to see what's so bad about it. On the other hand, I suspect there are people out there who do rely on reviews - especially when faced with an unknown author. And, face it, there are so many authors that we are all looking for a way to stick out in the crowd.

Well, I don't know if a bad review will help my sales, but I do know one thing. A good review can make my day/week/month. For me, it tells me that at least one person liked my writing. Whether that one person can influence the rest of the reading world remains to be seen, but for me, it was worth every minute I put into the book to have someone like it enough to give it a good rating.

So, why am I thinking about reviews lately? Because the June issue of Romantic Times is up on their website and there's a review of The Duke in it. And guess what? It's a GREAT one! 4½ stars. I've been smiling ever since I discovered it two days ago. This is what Ms. Brown had to say about The Duke:

Patrick's second entry in her Gypsy Legacy series is delightful. Her consummate storytelling runs the gamut with gripping plotlines, nonstop action and multifaceted characters. There's a wonderful love story and a conspiracy guaranteed to keep readers on their toes.

So, what do you think? Would that make you at least take a second (or third) look?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)