Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Wednesday, April 08, 2009
Holy Week
The picture above is of the Kappele. It sits across a ravine from the Marienberg Fortress in Wurzburg, Germany. Built by Balthasar Neumann from 1747-1750, it contains beautiful frescoes by Matthias Gunter. It is very picturesque. So what has it to do with Holy Week, besides being a Pilgrimage Church?

You can't see it in the picture, but a very steep, shady path winds its way up the hillside to it, consisting of 352 steps. Along that path are full-size sculptures of the Stations of the Cross. Now, I'm not Catholic, but as you walk up to the chapel and pause to view these beautiful works that chronicle Christ's journey from Gethsemane through his trial and finally the long walk to Golgotha to be crucified, I don't think you cannot be touched by the beauty of the work and the faith and reverence that went into creating them.

I looked everywhere to see if I could find pictures of all of the stations (because, of course, I didn't take any when I was there many years ago), but I only found this one. The next time I go, I will remember to take pictures of each one.

This week, I hope everyone will reflect on the blessings of Easter. On the life and death of Jesus, and the hope it brings to a dying world. If you are one of those people who only darken the door of a church for weddings and funerals, get out of your rut and go this Sunday. Go, and soak up God's love and peace.

And remember that Christ died for all of us - not just a chosen few.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)