Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Nuremberg, Germany
A favorite place from my late teen years. Although most of the places I frequented are gone (I worked in the Army Hospital there and it's been torn down), I still have fond memories of the year I spent there with my family. Someday, I may even dig out some of our old pictures, but today you'll have to be content with a few of the ones we took when we were there in 2007.

Below is the Heilig-Geist-Spital (Holy Ghost Hospital). It is no longer a hospital, but a very nice restaurant.

Nuremberg was an Imperial city during the Holy Roman Empire. Many Diets (similar to Congress or Parliament) were held in it's castle throughout the years. During WWII it was an important city to Hitler, so tt was also bombed extensively. After the war, it's castle had to be restored. Granted, it didn't suffer near as much damage as some other cities, but it did not come away unscathed.

The picture below was taken looking back down as we walked up to the castle. It is a very steep walk and gets steeper the closer you get to the castle itself. Note the green and white Police car.



Nuremberg is truly an Old World city at its center. The narrow, cobbled streets are picturesque, but murder on the foot. If you go, wear good walking shoes with excellent support. You will need it.





This picture was taken from near the top of the walkway up to the castle.

Did you note the low, half-timbered building built into the wall of the castle? I used to live in a small town that was famous for them. One of these days, when I find some pictures of that long-ago time (so long ago that my pictures are mostly black and white), I'll post them. In the meantime, below is another one with it's nice-looking shutters.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)