Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, March 05, 2009
Names
I got a birth announcement today. It was for a friend's first grandchild. Now, I've never given much thought to what people name their children. I just assume that people have their own reasons for naming their children what they do. One can only hope that the child doesn't end up scarred for life by the moniker you attach to them at birth. So, what made me think about this today? My friend's grandchild.

I suppose his names aren't any more unusual than many other names out there, but as I read the string of names, I wondered whether that child will ever grow into them. Or, will he shed as many of them as he can and just go by his initials when he grows up? I suppose it will all depend on his parents and their attachment to the names.

As I read the list, I wondered if the names had some significance. Is one a grandparent's name, a beloved uncle, or other ancestor? Perhaps one or two have a special meaning in another language - I don't have a clue as to how to pronounce at least one of the names. Whatever the reason for this child's names, I hope his parents will provide him with the story behind each one, for there surely must be one. And, if that's the case, he may, indeed, grow to view his name (and himself) as unique as the person he is.

Isn't that what every parent wants for their child?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)