Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Monday, March 02, 2009
Life and death in the animal kingdom
So, yesterday was a pretty good day. Church went well. I had 20 kids at Youth Group. Nice weather. Nice day all around - except for the dead deer.

Last Sunday as I was arriving at the church for Youth Group, there was a mule deer munching on the grass near the door. I don't know who was more startled - me or it, but as it bounded away, I remembered thinking I hope it didn't end up in the street and get hit by a car. Well, I don't know if it was the same deer or not, but today there was a dead mule deer on the other side of the fence at the end of the church parking lot.

Now, to give you some perspective. Our church backs up to a cemetery. And, there is a small herd of deer that live in the cemetery - probably because it's a nice oasis of green in the middle of a busy city. During the winter, you see them more because they forage for food slightly further afield, but I don't think I'd ever seen one on the church property before last week.

Because of where the dead one was today, I have to wonder what happened to it. It wasn't anywhere near the road, so if it was hit by a car, it lived long enough to make it to where it was this morning. Either that or someone moved it - which I doubt. Regardless, I hope animal control gets out and removes it tomorrow. I'm sure it's not something that the parents dropping their children off at the day care center will want their children to see.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)