Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Next week. . .

California here I come, right back where I started from. . .

Next week I will be away the entire week in San Francisco at the Romance Writers of America conference. I admit, I'm looking forward to the conference, but not necessarily going to San Francisco.

I was born in SF. My family moved away when I was nine, and I have never gone back with anticipation. Why? I'm a wimp. I don't like cold and I don't like being wet. San Francisco is both. The picture above is how I remember San Francisco.

I do have childhood memories of warm, sunny days in SF, but those are few and far between. What I mainly remember about it is the fog rolling in from the bay in the late afternoon, and the chill, damp wind that also came off the bay. I also remember getting up some mornings to gray, overcast, and drizzly and heading to visit family in Oakland (or anywhere across the bay) and finding it warm and gorgeous. My grandmother's favorite saying was: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." Her tongue was planted firmly in her cheek when she said that because she grew up in the Rockies. At least it rarely snows in San Francisco.

So, while I'm there, I will refrain from complaining, visit with my sister and a great-aunt who still live there, and enjoy my conference. I will catch up with old friends, meet some new ones and my editor, and then bring home some Ghiradelli chocolate to remind me that there are some things that I do like about San Francisco - chocolate and seafood.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)