Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Thursday Thirteen #35

Thirteen Places I've Been That I'd Go Back To
(by no means an exhaustive list)


1. München, Germany - I spent my freshman and sophomore years of college here at the University of Maryland's Munich Campus. It was one of the highlights of my younger life. Munich is a great city - full of history and just plain beautiful.

2. Vienna, Austria - I've probably only been in Vienna for a total of 10 days, but I loved it. In college my history emphasis was on the Holy Roman Empire. What better place to learn more about it than its seat for several hundred years?

3. Nürnberg, Germany - A castle on a hill overlooking a historic city with a great Christkindlmarkt (Christmas Market). Life was definitely good then.

4. Sierra Vista, AZ - Unlike many, I enjoyed my high school years, so returning to the scene of the crime doesn't cause me to go into convulsions. Besides, my Dad moved back there a few years ago, so now I have a good reason to go. The beauty of the desert southwest just calls to me.

5. Tucson, AZ - Much larger than Sierra Vista, I think if I had to choose one or the other to live in, I'd choose Tucson. What can I say? I love the desert.

6. Lido di Pomposa, Italy - When I was 11, my family spent a week on the beach in Italy. I don't know if my parents loved it as much as I did, but I still remember it fondly.

7. Venice, Italy - Another historic city that's worth exploring and learning more about first hand. I'm not much of a water person, but a gondola ride was a lot of fun for a 12-year-old.

8. The Grand Canyon, AZ - Awe-inspiring is the only thing that comes to mind when I think of standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Looking down makes me a little dizzy, but I can't resist the view. There's no place in the world like it.

9. Salzburg, Austria - The hills are alive! Even though you can't go anywhere in Salzburg without seeing something dealing with The Sound of Music, it is still a beautiful city. Another fortress on a hill overlooking the city - this one with a wonderful mural that is a history timeline of the area. I could have studied it for days.

10. Würzburg, Germany - Another historic fortress on a hill overlooking a city with a river. Are you seeing a theme here yet?

11. Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany - Another fascinating history-rich city, although this one is a serious tourist trap. I still love to wander the streets and look over the walls, though.

12. Flagstaff, AZ - I spent my junior and senior years of college here. It's a bit cold in the Winter for my taste, but sitting amidst the mountains and being up so high is wonderful. A very pretty place.

13. Copenhagen, Denmark - I don't speak a word of Danish, but I remember Copenhagen as being a lovely city in the Summer (when I was there). There were nice parks and places to stroll, museums, and, of course, it's the home of Hans Christian Andersen and I love fairy tales.

Maybe next week, I'll do a list of places I don't want to go back to.

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:
Blogger Meju said...
I would love to travel Germany some day.

Blogger Robin said...
I would love to go back to both Venice and Copenhagen. All of Scandinavia for that matter. And Thailand. Definitely Thailand. That one tops my all-time must return list.

Blogger Hootin' Anni said...
I LIVED in Tucson for about 12 years. Love it there...except for the summer monsoon season.

My 13 is posted, come join me?
Happy Thursday.

Blogger Kristi said...
I went to Vienna, Austria 20 years ago when I was in junior high and I didn't appreciate all the musical history it had to offer. now that I have gone to college for music and learned so much, I would love to go back now when I can appreciate it. Fun list.

Blogger Lori said...
Wow, you are well traveled. I am slightly jealous. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by my TT!

Blogger Ivette said...
Happy T13! I haven't been to any of those place.

Blogger Ornery's Wife said...
I went to Buena High School, too! I left midway through my Sophomore year, but I went all through grade school in Sierra Vista, was born there in fact! I am wracking my brain trying to figure out whether or not I knew you back then! What a small world!

I am "patiently" awaiting the arrival of your Almacks book at my library. They have several copies ordered, but are not available for check out yet, but I am the first "hold" on the first available copy.

Thanks for the comments at Miller Manor today. I love it when you visit!
TM

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
So, ornery, when did you leave SV? My family was military, so I lived on FH, but my family went back there when I was in college and my sisters went to school there.

Anonymous maggies mind said...
Of those, I've only been to Tuscon, but I loved it. Sounds like some wonderful times spent in wonderful places!

Blogger the teach said...
Denise, I've never been to Germany or Austria! But I'd like to go. I have been to AZ though... spent 6 weeks there once. Beautiful state! Thanks for visiting me! "D

Blogger Mama Zen said...
I would love to go to Austria!

Blogger Amy Ruttan said...
Haven't been to any of those places, but would love to!

Great TT!

Thanks for dropping by mine. :)

Blogger forgetfulone said...
I'm headed off to #8 for a vacation in half an hour!

Blogger Michelle said...
Gosh, You've been to some really amazing places. I'm jealous. I've never made it out of the USA. Thanks for stopping by my TT.

Blogger Lilibeth said...
I would love to see those places...but I'm not willing to go there and getting there is all part of it. ha ha.

Blogger marcia said...
Wow you are well traveled

Blogger Cindy Swanson said...
Denise, you're amazingly well-traveled! I'd love to visit some of the places on this list.

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my TT!

Blogger pussreboots said...
I'd love to visit Europe some day. Happy TT.

Blogger Gattina said...
You saw quite a lot of Europe ! I have never been in Vienna, lol ! A little everywhere in Austria but not yet the capital !

Anonymous Nicholas said...
I'd love to visit Copenhagen. I understand that most Danes speak English, so no need to worry about language difficulties!

Blogger Danica/Dream said...
Wow, you've done a lot of traveling. I'd love to visit some of those places for the first time. :)

Blogger Julia said...
WOW you've traveled to many places that I wish to go to someday. I have never been to anywhere near Europe, but I would love to visit Germany. One of my aunt live there and my parent have gone to visit them there once. I didn't go as I ahd to work at the times. Maybe someday...

Thanks for visiting my blog and comment, have a good day!

Blogger SandyCarlson said...
Germany and Arizona sure occupy big places in your heart!

Blogger Chelle Y. said...
You have been to many cool places!

OpenID allisonsays.com said...
I have not been to a single place on your list! I hope to visit many of them in my life. Good luck getting back to any and all of them :) I hope you do.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)