Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Thursday Thirteen #33


Thirteen Reasons I Now Have A Website

Just this past weekend I finally took the plunge and let my website go live. I've been building, playing with, and tweaking it for months - literally. So, now that it's out there, I've got my eye on my own domain and everything, but the one I'd like is taken so, please take my poll (top right side) and tell me what you think. In the meantime, here are 13 reasons I finally took the plunge.

1. I now have four books out, with another one due out in August.
2. I love my blog, but I can't put everything on it without it getting too cluttered.
3. I've tried to avoid putting everything on my blog, but that means that announcements and other things don't get out.
4. People keep asking me if I have a website.
5. I want people to be able to find out what they might want to know about me, my books, and my publishers.
6. I need something to put on my business cards.
7. I wanted to showcase my books.
8. I wanted people to stop asking me if I have a website.
9. I want to put up more information on my books; background, characters, etc.
10. I want to be able to change information to keep it more current.
11. I'm trying to teach myself HTML and having a blog and a website will give me something else to mess up as I experiment.
12. People kept asking me when I was going to get a website.
13. And, finally, I just got tired of people asking me if I had a website.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:
Anonymous colleen said...
Heaven begins with H E A and HEART has the word EARTH right in it. Good job on the website!

Do you think the Muse cell phone is for the Muse to call in her inspiration?

Anonymous maggies mind said...
I went with DenisePatrickWrites.com. I have a website that I almost never update since I've started blogging, but I still like knowing it's there as something more permanent feeling. Since you are a writer with actual published books and people asking you if you have a website, it's definitely awesome that you have one!

Happy TT!

Blogger Kay said...
LOL. Hey, do you have a website?

All your reasons are good, but multi-pubbed is great.

Blogger No Nonsense Girl said...
Those are good reasons!!!


Happy T13!

Blogger Colleen said...
"something to put in my business cards" - Love that!

What about Denise_Patrick?
Have you looked at other extentions? Like denisepatrick.net or .us?

Blogger Ornery's Wife said...
:-) This was a fun list. I mean, doesn't EVERYONE have a website? :-)
Happy TT and thanks for visiting Miller Manor. I love it when you come by!
tm

So, do you have a website...

I KNOW!!!

I'm glad you finally have one. You were overdue.

And I'm proud of you for doing it yourself, too!

Anonymous Celticlibrarian said...
Yay for your new website! One of my friends (Debbie Viguie) just had a new book come out, and her site is down. Sigh.

May your site get many hits.

Blogger SandyCarlson said...
Congratulations on the book and the site! Good for you. Will you do a page for each of your works?

Blogger Zee said...
A website -- great idea! Now, where did I put mine? I forgot.

Really, good luck to you. I admire your tenacity with the books. BRAVA!

Blogger MamaArcher said...
congrats on getting your new website up and running! Have fun with it!

Blogger Danica/Dream said...
Congrats on the site!!

Blogger pussreboots said...
Good luck with the new website. Happy TT.

Congratulations! :) Good luck with your new website. :)

Blogger pjazzypar said...
Good luck with your new website and thanks for visiting me:)

Blogger storyteller said...
Congratulations on ‘going live’ with your Website! I’m a bit of crunched for time so I need to pass on your poll … at least for now. Your reasons all seem well considered.

Thanks for visiting my T-13 at Small Reflections about my Photoshop class. I’m playing catch-up today and signed your Mr. Linky just because. You might find my Haiku Friday posts on each of my blogs of interest because I share more specifically (with illustrations) things I’ve learned in the first week. It’s all very cool. I hope you get to take a class yourself soon.

Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous maggies mind said...
I've missed seeing your Thursday Thirteen the past couple of weeks, but it sounds like you've been keeping busy :)

Blogger Grace Tyler said...
DenisePatrickHEA

BooksByDenise

DenisePatrickRomance

SweetReadsByDenise


This is a tough one, but the main thing is if you post everywhere and put the website front and center, people will eventually remember it.

I put a dash in mine and went with dot com. Reason? GraceTyler.com NOT used, but reserved for Grace Baptist Church in Tyler TX. They have a totally different addy, but bought the one I wanted to I couldn't use it. So I won't be mixed up with another author/musician, etc, so I decided to go with it and put the dash in. I figure two things--if I keep putting my addy in people's faces, they will remember the dash eventually--google me and you will find my real addy! Also, I never remember if someone is a .net, so I did the dash and .com.

Another thing you can do, Denise, is buy your address from GoDaddy and then redirect your free website until you get a new one composed. You can make it so that when someone types in "denisepatrickauthor.com" they will get redirected to the freeweb, but will see your "real" i.e., paid for, address in their browser bar. I would do that now so that you can get your REAL and forever address on your signature line and bus cards, not the freeweb one.

This is what I did, because I bought a very cheap site ($5 a month because I didn't want to try HTML and still wanted something I could update myself as needed) and then GoDaddy just points my domain name that I paid for to the cheapo site.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)