Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, May 08, 2008
Thursday Thirteen #32

Two weeks ago, I gave you 13 of my favorite poems and Fairy Tales and promised Nursery Rhymes the next week. Since I deviated last week, I thought I'd do it this week. So here are
13 of my favorite Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes
To keep it from going too long, I'll only put the first stanza if there are more.
DISCLAIMER: These are some of the ones I learned as I remember them - I'm sure others may have learned them slightly differently.

1. Mary Had A Little Lamb
It's fleece was white as snow
And every where that Mary went
The lamb was sure to go.

2. Little Boy Blue, come blow your horn
The sheep's in the meadow, the cow's in the corn
Oh, where is the boy who looks after the sheep
He's under the haystack fast asleep.

3. Old Mother Hubbard went to her cupboard
To get her poor dog a bone
But when she got there
The cupboard was bare
And so the poor dog had none.

4. Old King Cole was a merry old soul
And a merry old soul was he
He called for his pipe
And he called for his bowl
And he called for his fiddlers three.

5. Sing A Song of Sixpence
A pocketful of rye
Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie
When the pie was opened, the birds began to sing
Wasn't that a dainty dish to set before a king?

6. Jack Sprat could eat no fat
His wife could eat no lean
And so, between them both, you see
They licked the platter clean.

7. Wee Willie Winkie runs through the town
Upstairs, downstairs, in his nightgown
Rapping at the window, crying through the lock
"Are the children in their beds? Now it's eight o'clock."

8. Ring Around The Rosies
Pocketful of posies
Ashes, ashes
We all fall down.

9. Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

10. Georgy Porgy, pudding and pie
Kissed the girls and made them cry.
When the boys came out the play
Georgy Porgy ran away.

11. Little Jack Horner
Sat in a corner
Eating a Christmas pie
He put in his thumb
And pulled out a plum
And said, "What a good boy am I."

12. There Was A Little Girl
Who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
When she was good, she was very, very good
And when she was bad, she was horrid.

13. Lucy Locket lost her pocket
Kitty Fisher found it
There was not a penny in it
But a ribbon 'round it.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:
Blogger Toni said...
Great list. Right now Hunter's is doing "a fa dow".

Thanks for stopping by my place!

Anonymous maggie's mind said...
Great list! Those brought back memories, and it was a lot of fun. I honestly haven't thought about some of those in years.

Blogger pussreboots said...
I haven't thought about most of those rhymes in ages. Happy TT.

I wonder how many of those my kids recognize...

Anonymous colleen said...
The 9/11 call was a hoot. A cop had confiscated some pot from someone, cooked it in brownies and ate it with his wife. They were out of it!

I had a post about nursery rhymes right below my 13 this week.

Blogger Hailey's Mommy said...
Fun list. I still have my first book of Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes. The book has to be close to 40 years old. Happy TT!!

Anonymous Nicole Austin said...
Great list! Brings back memories of reading all those silly stories, many of which make no sense. LOL!

Blogger DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...
I have to admit... I didn't know Lucy Locket until right now... I live (and have lived) a very sheltered life.

Blogger SandyCarlson said...
No. 2 is one of my favorites. It's open-ended and magical and evocative. Makes me think of a child who works hard but can't keep his eyes open. There is a sadness.

Blogger Jan Parrish said...
For some reason, I've always loved Ol' King Cole. Great 13!Happy Mothers day!

Blogger marcia said...
# 12 was and still is me!!

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)