Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Long week. . .
It has been a long week already - and it's only Tuesday. I don't think I'm going to get a Thursday Thirteen posted this week because I won't have time to get to other blogs and I hate to post one and not visit others.

With the hubby out of town, and us down to only one car (with three drivers left at home), it's a little chaotic at home right now. Yesterday I stayed home from work with a migraine. Today I am telecommuting, which made it easy for the son to get to his dental appointment. Tomorrow, he's on his own. I have to go into work. Thursday will be another tricky day - I have to go into work, but daughter has a doctor appointment. I'll let you know how we work that one out - although I think it will involve me carpooling with a co-worker and being picked up later for a lunch appointment. Friday - I took the day off. But, I still have a boat-load of stuff to do that day because the Church Youth Group is kicking off it's 30 Hour Famine/Youth Weekend that day.

What, you might ask, is the 30 Hour Famine? It's too long to explain in one fell swoop, but you can go to the website to get the whole story. But, here's a short explanation:


The 30 Hour Famine is an international Youth Movement sponsored by World Vision to fight hunger. It is done on specific dates by youth groups (not just ones in churches) all over the world. I just recently learned that in Australia, the youth do a 40 Hour Famine. This year will be my youth group's 6th year participating. The national dates were in February and April, but we couldn't do it then and the kids did not want to miss it - they look forward to it every year - so we are doing it this weekend.

In addition to raising funds (the kids get pledges for every hour they go without food - suggested donation is $1 per hour), and we do a service project that will impact hunger in our local area. This year we are doing a food drive for one of the busiest food pantries. Last year we had a table set up in the lobby of a local supermarket to solicit donations and provide education and materials. It was fun, but very tempting because we were fasting - and they set us up in front of a display of cookies and candy!


The sign says: 29,000 kids die every day/$1 feeds 1 child for 1 day



We don't raise a lot of money (usually around $3,000), but the kids enjoy knowing that their efforts go to help others and that's $3,000 more than we would raise if we did nothing.

So, the kids (and me) will start fasting at 2 p.m. on Friday and go until 8 p.m. Saturday without food. We are allowed to drink juices. sports drinks, and water. On Saturday morning we will do our food drive. Then Saturday afternoon the kids will have time to chill (we spend the entire weekend at the church), then in the evening we will put the finishing touches on the next morning's worship service - which we are leading. It makes for a full weekend to do our annual Youth Service at the end of the Famine weekend, but it's the perfect tie-in.

So, if I don't get out to do a Thursday Thirteen - now you know why.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:
this week has been sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long. each day has been going so slowly. i feel your pain.

she
http://www.shebecameabutterfly.net

Blogger Lyn Cash said...
Thunder/lightning, etc on its way, but I had to pop in and read your blog. Bless you and the kids for your efforts, Denise. I know how much those kids mean to you, and this is a worthy cause!

~ Sunny Lyn

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)