Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Thursday Thirteen #30

Thirteen ways I revisit my childhood

As a child I loved to read. From a very early age my Mom read me stories, poems, and Nursery Rhymes. Whenever I think of one, it always takes me back. Today I'll share 13 of those special memory inducers.

I was four the Christmas I received Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses. I still have that book. Let me share a few of my favorite poems out of it. (I still have them memorized.)

1. The Swing
How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
Rivers and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roofs so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!

2. My Shadow
I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow--
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller like an india-rubber ball,
And sometimes gets so little that there's none of him at all.

He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close beside me, he's a coward you can see;
I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me!

One morning very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.

3. At The Seaside
When I was down beside the sea
A wooden spade they gave to me
To dig the sandy shore.
My holes were empty like a cup,
In every hole the sea came up,
Till it could come no more.

4. Bed In Summer
In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

The world of fairy tales was a wondrous place. Many was the time I dreamed of being a princess in a castle. When I got to visit a few when we lived in Germany, it was like a dream come true. Despite how dark and grim some of them are, I still love my copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales. My favorites are:

5. Cinderella
6. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
7. Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty)
8. The Frog Prince
9. The Six Swans

Of course, Grimm wasn't the only compilation of fairy tales out there. I also devoured (Hans Christian) Andersen's Fairy Tales. Some of my favorites are:

10. The Ugly Duckling
11. The Emperor's New Clothes
12. The Little Match Girl
13. The Princess and the Pea
14. The Steadfast Tin Solder
15. The Tinder Box

OK, I couldn't just stop at thirteen. But, I hope you, too, have enjoyed some of these stories and poems. I guess next week I'll have to get to Nursery Rhymes.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:
Blogger Picturing of Life said...
You have wonderful places that you had visited when you were childhood

Will you visit mine Thanks

Blogger pussreboots said...
I have the Stevenson book too from my childhood. Happy TT.

Blogger Hootin' Anni said...
This is all so perfect a list! I'm a kid at heart still, and every ONE you chose is terrific.

Have a terrific Thursday...my t-13 is posted too, it'll take a bit of doing to comprehend it all, but it's worth a shot. Come see if you can decipher it.

Blogger Adelle said...
Your list sure brings back a few memories. Thanks!
Happy T13!

Blogger Tilly Greene said...
I still have my copy of A Child's Garden of Verses...My Shadow always brought up questions. Poor Mom :-)

Recently I received an annotated copy of Hans Christian Andersen, now that puts a new perspective on his tales. Next in line is the one for the Grimms.

Blogger Kay said...
I only know The Swing from the nursery rhymes.

The real version of Cinderella and the others are quite different from the Disney version, aren't they! Gruesome! LOL

Nice list

Awesome stuff! So much of this seems to have been lost on today's kids -- and I include my own, sadly. I've tried, though. I have!

Blogger Colleen said...
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this list! I'm constantly trying to think of books/stories/fairy tales my kids need to hear! (Not as if they'll suffer in any way if they don't hear them, but being the literary geek I am its important to me!) I've already got them thinking its a great treat to get a new book if they're good in the store! If they behave the've gotten such treasures as The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Where The Wild Things Are. I'll have to add the Stevenson stories - I remember those vividly!

Gosh this is a real trip down memory lane. Thanks so much!

Happy TT

Anonymous Nicole Austin said...
Great list! My daughter inherited my copy of A Child's Garden of Verses.

Blogger SandyCarlson said...
This is a touching post! I will give this some thought in my own life, too. Wonderful.Thanks.

Anonymous crazy working mom said...
Very cool list! You're a creative writer.

Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

Blogger It's All Good! said...
Nice list. This the poetry I want my daughter to learn!
Thanks for stopping by for a visit.
God Bless,
Brenda

Blogger Dane Bramage said...
I remember those clearly. It is a shame my nieces and nephews don't enjoy ready. I think they are missing out on a great world of reading in exchange for Toon Disney and Cartoon Network.

And thanks for visiting my T13 #77. An An homage to Earth Day.

Anonymous maggie said...
I really loved your list, even if I've never read any of those particular. It reminds me of some of my own favorites from childhood, and it's funny how I remember long, long poems like you do, but half the time I can't remember something that happened an hour ago ;)

Blogger Gattina said...
I know a lot of these books but I read them in German or French.

Blogger Joy Renee said...
i loved every one of these as a child myself. oh the memories and the power of nostalgia. i had my own copy of A Child's Garden of Verses too but have lost it along the way. i loved it for the word play and stories in the verses but just as much for the wonderful illustrations by Jessie Wilcox Smith who also illustrated my cousin's copy of Water Babies which I adored nearly as much.

thanx for this trip into memory and thanx for visiting my Earth Day Green Choices TT

Blogger Cindy Swanson said...
Great poems and stories, Denise...and a great idea for a TT! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my TT. :)

Blogger Darla said...
Those bring back some great memories! There was a time when I knew those poems by heart, I'd read them so often to my kids!p

I use "The Shadow" in my language arts program every year.

Great post!

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)