Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Thursday Thirteen #29
Thirteen People I Wish I Still Kept In Touch With

As a military brat, I moved around - A LOT! I will admit that I enjoyed it immensely and the opportunities I had cannot be measured. There is no doubt that they shaped who I am today. Along the way, however, I met many people that I wish I could talk to again. Here are just 13 of them - in no particular order.

1. Carol - she was probably my best friend in High School for at least two years. I let her read all my scribblings back then and I have never forgotten her words of encouragement. She moved away before our Senior year and I lost touch. I wish I could tell her that I took her advice and never stopped writing.

2. Sharon - she was also a High School friend. We were rivals as well as friends on the tennis team. She was a MUCH better player than I'll ever be. We used to joke that someday we'd meet on Centre Court at Wimbledon, but she'd be playing and I'd be sweeping the court!

3. Debbie - another High School friend. She was a little dynamo. We were on the track team together. Boy could she run - and pack away the food after a meet. People used to look at me and ask where I put all the food, but I couldn't hold a candle to her.

4. Tony - an extremely funny High School friend. He was on the boys' tennis team and we often played against them for fun. He and another friend "streaked" at my graduation. I've never told a soul I knew who those two streakers were.

5. Terry - she and I moved to the same base at the same time and started eighth grade together. She was almost the total opposite of me and I envied her ability to make friends with nearly everyone she met.

6. David(1) - he was a college friend. I first met him my junior year when he came to my dorm room looking for my roommate. We chatted while he waited for her to show up. Even though he ended up leaving before she finally came home that night, a friendship was born that lasted the next two years.

7. David(2) - another High School friend. I mainly remember him because he had a crush on me when we were in Chemistry together. Our Chemistry class went on a three-day field trip once to a mine to learn about the chemical processes and he insisted on sitting next to me on the bus and at all meals. He was a nice guy, but just a little possessive with no encouragement whatsoever from me.

8. George - she lived down the street from me on base during my High School years. She and her sister were in the same grade as me, and we (our circle of friends) often wondered if one of them was adopted because they were so close in age. They wouldn't tell. Years later, my sister went to school (and is still good friends with) one of their brothers.

9. Vickie - she and I hung out a lot together in High School, but I never completely fit in with her and her friends. During our Senior year, her parents sent her away to live with some relatives because she was becoming too close to a guy they didn't like.

10. Tena - a friend from my childhood. She and I were the same age, but because her birthday was a few months before mine, she started school before I did. Her sister was in the same grade as me, until I was skipped up - into the same grade. She and her sister, another couple of girls, and I were nearly inseparable until I left the area in third grade. I ran into her again as a freshman in college. We were living in the same dorm. We had both changed so much that we no longer had anything in common.

11. Pam - when I was very young, my mother worked. Long before the days of "child care," while she worked I had a "babysitter" who had four daughters. Pam was the youngest. She was 13 or 14 when I was only 5 or 6, but she took the time to play with me and I've never forgotten her.

12. Gary & Glenda - they were a couple that I babysat for when I was in my late teens. I had taken a year off between my sophomore and junior years of college and was working in a hospital in Germany. Gary also worked there and we became friends. I sat for their two little boys on and off for most of that year.

13. Alice - she was the wife of our next door neighbor when we lived in Germany. I was ten when we first moved there. She had a wonderful voice and started a children's choir at the church on base. I still remember some of the songs we learned and sang.

Labels: ,

23 Comments:
Blogger Picturing of Life said...
Hope you can manage to find all of them.

Will you visit mine Thanks

Blogger marcia said...
I know there are so many people in our past that shaped our lives You smarty skipping a grade:)

Blogger Random Ramblings said...
It is not too late...go ahead and find them! good luck!

Blogger Hootin' Anni said...
Great idea for a list. You can use a people finder online.

My 13 movie stills is shared for T-13 this week. Come by if you can.

Blogger SandyCarlson said...
It's a good life that can claim so many friends along the way!

Blogger Robin said...
I've lost touch with so many people. I often wonder what some of them are doing.

Happy TT.

Blogger Adelle said...
I hope you find your friends. Great idea for a list. Happy T13!

Blogger marcia said...
I am going to be 49 tomorrow do you have a pic of your daisy dress?

Blogger Colleen said...
Nice list...caused me to think of many people *I've* lost touch with over the years.

And congrats on the book award!

Blogger Ornery's Wife said...
I am very impressed that you can remember so many of their names! I can on rare occasion recall a few names, but never so many in a group like that. Thanks for coming by Miller Manor for a visit. I hope you come back any time--the mischief is really not that bad. Usually. ;-)
TM

Anonymous Nicholas said...
You never know, maybe someone will tell some of them about this post.

Blogger Julia said...
I hope you be able to find them and reconnect with them again :) Good luck with that!

I have some friends that I lost contact with too, and wish to find them as well.

Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you stop by again soon!

Blogger Hailey's Mommy said...
Loved your Thursday 13. Great idea. There are many people I wish I could talk to again also.

Blogger Harris Channing said...
I have a list of people I've lost touch with too. Sad to think we let them slip away but then again...they let us go too.

Happy TT.

Harris.

Blogger alisonwonderland said...
great idea for TT! what nice memories!

p.s. wasn't the spring weather fabulous today?!

Blogger forgetfulone said...
Good friendships are hard to form and as we grow into adulthood, easy to lose track of. I hope you find them.

Blogger Gattina said...
Friendship is a wonderful thing !

Anonymous Tempest Knight said...
Reading this made me think of all the people I've lost contact throughout the years. Funny how not even the internet makes it easier to keep in touch, uh?

Blogger Kay said...
neat idea for a post!

Blogger Cindy Swanson said...
What a great idea for a list, Denise! There are so many people that I wish I had stayed in touch with. Some are female and they probably married, so it's impossible to even Google them.

Stop by mine when you get a moment!

Blogger FRIGGA said...
Wow, that's a lot of people. I don't think I could name nearly that many. Does that reflect negatively on me? 8-)

Happy Friday!! :-)

Blogger storyteller said...
What a cool idea for a T-13 … and a lovely tribute to 13 people from your past! You have me thinking about people from my own life that I’ve not thought of in decades ;--)

Thanks for your visit to Small Reflections again this week. I’m sorry it’s taken me until Saturday to get to yours, but some weeks are like that. LOL

Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs and blessings,

Blogger Nap Warden said...
Right there with you..great idea for a list. There are so many people I'd like to reconnect with.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)