Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Thursday Thirteen #25
Thirteen of my favorite Christmas Carols
(And, by no means, an exhaustive list)

1. Stille Nacht (Silent Night) - I learned this one as a child, but have a fondness for the German version, which I learned while living in Germany in elementary school
2. Little Drummer Boy - This story of the little boy who has nothing to give has always touched me
3. What Child Is This - The melody of this song is nice and smooth and just begs to be sung
4. Mary's Boy Child/Oh My Lord (by Boney M) - I love this group's Christmas Album; it's very much a product of the disco era, but then again, so am I. I first bought this album on cassette in Germany back in 1985. When I finally wore it out a couple of years ago, I ordered a CD copy.
5. Mary Did You Know? - I only heard this song by Clay Aiken for the first time a couple of years ago, but it has become a favorite that I could listen to over and over again.
6. Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful) - Like Silent Night, I learned this one in the original Latin while living in Germany as a child. And, all these years later, I still remember it.
7. Someday At Christmas (by The Temptations) - I know others have sung it, but their version is my favorite.
8. When A Child Is Born (by Boney M) - Another song off their Christmas Album.
9. White Christmas - No Christmas is complete without Bing.
10. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting. . .) - I particularly love Nat King Cole's version.
11. O Little Town Of Bethlehem - A calm, quiet song that gives me wonderful visuals of a small, sleepy little town in the desert.
12. Do You Hear What I Hear? - Although mainly sung at Christmas, the words of this song are applicable all year long.
13. Joy To The World - For me, this song says it all. This is why I, as a Christian, celebrate Christmas.

Today's Question: What country was Silent Night composed in?



Labels: ,

12 Comments:
Blogger Darla said...
These are all wonderful songs--I couldn't pick just 13 favorites either. I love Christmas carols.

As for the question--Silent Night was composed in Austria, yes? I do know it was originally in German: "Stille Nacht"

Blogger Bloggers said...
I love Christmas music.

I sing it all year long.

My 13 is up on Working at Home Mom

Blogger Emma Petersen said...
Le sigh. I really wish I liked Christmas music. I think I did as a child but can't really remember.

Happy TT!

Blogger Robin said...
Have you ever heard the song Christmas in the Trenches? It tells the true story of how the British and German soldiers took one night off from the fighting to come together in peace. It started when one brave German soldier sang out Stille Nacht, and one British soldier answered in English. Gives me chills every time I hear it.

I love those too! I'm really enjoying the Charlie Brown Christmas cd too!

Blogger Robin said...
I've got a link to it in this post Denise. It's truly haunting when you hear it sung.

Blogger Sarai said...
I love O Little Town of Bethleham not sure why but it has always stuck! Happy Holidays!

Blogger Sandee (Comedy +) said...
And a great list it is too. I so love anything Christmas. Have a great TT. :)

Blogger Nicholas said...
I know practically all of them. Mind you, I'm an to nearly as into Christmas music as most people are.

Good stuff. Little Drummer Boy's high on my list, too.

Happy TT!

Blogger No Nonsense Girl said...
Happy TT denise!!!! I love many of those!!!!

Blogger Dane Bramage said...
Now this is impressive. You not only came up with twelve songs that were NOT on my favorites list but they were not on my hate list either! Now the big question abot White Christmas. Do you prefer it in the movie White Christmas or the original in Holiday Inn?

My #61st Thursday Thirteen is up. 13 Christmas Songs I Love/Hate Stop by if you get a chance.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)