Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Monday, December 24, 2007
Christmas Island

On December 24, 1777, Captain James Cook discovered an island in the Pacific Ocean and named it Christmas Island. This island, however, is not an island, but the largest coral atoll in the world. It is one of 33 atolls that comprise the Republic of Kiribati. Although claimed by various nations throughout its history, it has also been used for nuclear testing.

Not to be confused with the Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean, the inhabitants have translated Christmas into their own language, Gilbertese.

Today's Question: What is the Gilbertese name for Christmas Island?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:
Blogger robynl said...
Kiribati (pronounced [ˈkiɾibɑs][citation needed] or kee-ree-bahs in Gilbertese),

Blogger Melissa Mayhue said...
Okay... I'm stumped by this one. But I actually stopped by to say a BIG congratulations...

Eppies and CAPAs and ?????, Oh My!!

I'm proud to know you!!! This IS going to be your year.

~ Melissa

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Robyn, you're right. Thanks for playing.

Melissa, thanks. I'm really stunned by all this attention. You know, if it hadn't been for a friend, I would never have written that book, either. So, I always say it's her fault.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)