Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Thursday Thirteen #19
On this day in 1825 Johann Strauss II was born. Even if you didn't know what you were listening to, chances are you've heard some of his compositions. Although he wrote polkas, marches, and even operas, the most famous of his compositions are his waltzes. So, in honor of The Waltz King, today I give you
13 Waltzes by Johann Strauss II

1. An der schönen blauen Donau -- The Blue Danube (my favorite, so it had to be first)
2. Geschichten aus dem Wienerwald -- Tales from the Vienna Woods
3. Wein, Weib und Gesang -- Wine, Women and Song
4. Wiener Blut -- Viennese Blood
5. Frühlingsstimmen -- Voices of Spring
6. Lagunen-Walzer -- Lagoon Waltz
7. Schatz-Walzer -- Treasure Waltz
8. Wiener Frauen -- Viennese Ladies
9. Kaiser-Jubiläum-Jubelwalzer -- Emperor Jubilation
10. Kaiser-Walzer -- Emperor Waltz
11. Rosen aus dem Süden -- Roses from the South
12. Morgenblätter -- Morning Journals
13. Wiener Bonbons -- Viennese Sweets

The Blue Danube is probably his most famous waltz, followed closely by Vienna Woods and the Emperor Waltz.
Today's question
One of the waltzes above was written for words penned by a local poet. Leave a guess in the comments. The first one to get it right will go into my monthly prize drawing.

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:
Blogger bernie said...
Good list, I linked to you from mine: 13 Things Egyptian your grandchildren will never see

Blogger Ann Aguirre said...
I'm afraid I have no idea. But apparently I'm nine years old again because I snickered when I read "Wiener Blut".

Blogger Sarah said...
Great list! I was in piano for 13 years...I miss it. Waltzes are fun! Happy TT!

Blogger Qtpies7 said...
I am really bad with music and names of the piece or artist. LOL I love to waltz, though.

Blogger Carolan Ivey said...
[[Weiner Bonbons]]

Gotta love the German language. :)

When we visited there a few years ago, managing with just a basic phrase book was more of a challenge for me than in it was in France. I don't speak French, but it's similar enough to Spanish that I could figure most things out. Not in Germany, though!

But after a while, I noticed a pattern, and even managed to ask an innkeeper for extra pillows and blankets without resorting to sign language. :)

Blogger Norma said...
A romance writer's got to love a waltz!

http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/10/thursday-thirteen-13-places-my-purse.html

Blogger Bloggers said...
You always have such great 13! The waltz is a beautiful dance.

Blogger Sandy Carlson said...
Thanks for helping me raise my music awareness! This is great.

My guess would be wine women and song, but I'm musically ignorant when it comes to waltzes.

Thanks for the info, and Happy TT!

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Good try, Michelle, but, unfortunately wrong. Try again.

Anonymous Nicholas said...
I have almost all of those on various CDs and LPs.

My guess is that it was the Blue Danube. I seem to remember reading that when it was first performed it had words, which Strauss hated, and thereafter it was strictly just an orchestral piece. Incidentally, it was used to great effect in the movie 2001.

Blogger EHT said...
I'm so glad you came by History Is Elementary. I love your list this week. Blue Danube is one of my favorites as well. I used to, in another lifetime when I was very young, play the Blue Danube on the piano.

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
You're right, Nicholas. The lyrics are pretty lame, too. You can read them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Danube

Thanks for playing!

Blogger Dane Bramage said...
I love Strauss. I am familiar with his more famous works. Thanks for stopping by my T13.

Blogger No Nonsense Girl said...
This was a great TT Denise..I love classic music!!!!

Happy TT!!! Have a great weekend!!!

Blogger Joyful Days said...
This is such a neat TT!!

Blogger Leslie Dicken said...
Hey Denise! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my first Thursday 13! I picked an easy one on purpose...need to warm up before I tackle harder things!

Good to see you! :-)

Blogger FRIGGA said...
Very different from my normal realm of music :P Happy TT13

(come back by my blog for a taste of what I'm usually listening to)

Blogger Malcolm: said...
"Blue Danube" is the one I know for sure. I may have actually heard "Voices of Spring" in, believe it or not, a Three Stooges movie.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)