Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, October 04, 2007
Thursday Thirteen #16


Thirteen Things Related to Janis Joplin

1. Port Arthur, Texas - Born and raised here
2. The Typewriter Tape - A series of songs recorded on a reel-to-reel tape machine accompanied by a typewriter in the background.
3. Southern Comfort - Her beverage of choice
4. Big Brother and The Holding Company - The first band she joined; she was with them for 2 years
5. Haight-Ashbury - The district in San Francisco, most famously known for the "Summer of Love" and the hippie movement; Janis lived here before it was famous
6. Anderson Theater - Big Brother and Janis gave their first performance in New York in this theater in 1968
7. Wake for Martin Luther King, Jr. - This was the last concert she and Big Brother gave in New York with, among others, rocker Jimi Hendrix.
8. Cheap Thrills - This is the best known of the albums put out with Big Brother
9. Kozmic Blues Band - This back-up group was formed by Janis after her split from Big Brother
10. Woodstock - She performed at this legendary concert, but there is very little footage of her, possibly because she was high for most of the time
11. The Dick Cavett Show - She was a regular on this variety show, but there are very few clips still in existence of her performances
12. Me and Bobby McGee - This was her biggest hit single
13. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - She was inducted in 1995

And, because my This Day In History contest is still going, the first person who posts the significance of October 4 in Janis Joplin's life will go into my monthly drawing.

Labels: ,

28 Comments:
Blogger Ali said...
wow...very interesting site, thank you!!

Blogger Ann Aguirre said...
I don't want to go in the drawing, I already won something.

But I just love her voice.

Anonymous MissMeliss said...
She died on Oct. 4, 1970 - I know this because it's the year I was born, and she was a favorite of my mother's.

Blogger Morgan St. John said...
I do love her singing of Bobby...

Anonymous Briggie said...
ugh, miss meliss beat me to it. she passed away on oct 4, 1970. boy could she sing...

Anonymous Nicholas said...
I love #12.

Blogger Malcolm: said...
Thanks for the all "Pearl" TT. It's funny what you said about her Woodstock appearance. I have a live version of "Ball and Chain" on a greatest hits CD of hers. She does a spoken interlude during the song and you can tell that she's drunk, high, or both. Still, she was a one of a kind singer.

Interesting TT; didn't know most of those.

Mine's here: http://artventuring.blogspot.com/2007/10/thursday-thirteen-7-13-words-you-can.html

Blogger The Gal Herself said...
"It's all the same day, man." That's the first thing that pops into my mind when I think of Janis. I'm a fan, so I enjoyed your TT.

Blogger Lori said...
She was a very talented singer...its too bad her life was taken so soon. Great info...thanks for stopping by and Happy TT.

Blogger Nancy J. Bond said...
Very interesting facts about an icon! And thanks for your visit!

Blogger Thomma Lyn said...
Janis Joplin was awesome -- thanks for your list! I learned some new things about her.

Happy T13, and thanks for visiting mine!

Blogger impworks said...
Her music is much missed.

Great TT :-)

Blogger Nap Warden said...
Love Me & Bobby Mcgee!

Blogger Christine d'Abo said...
Janice is great! I love Me and Bobby McGee, it's one of my favourite songs. :)

Blogger KC said...
very interesting Thursday 13 today, I have learned something new
Happy T13

Anonymous Damozel said...
Man, I love me some Janis. I think my favorite is probably "Flower in the Sun." We need a Janis revival. I hope a worthy successor brings it about while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.

Blogger Aline de Chevigny said...
Cool TT

Aline

Blogger cajunvegan said...
Love Janis Joplin ... have relatives in Port Arthur, TX ... Southern Comfort is excellent with fruit compote on a cheesecake (and as a nightcap or two) ... Janis was gone way before her time.

Happy TT

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...
I know all of her music coz my mom is a huge fan. And I think that made me a better woman!

Thx for the congrats over at Ann's blog. I really appreciate it!

Blogger karen said...
learn something new everyday...thanks!
great tt!

That's an interesting list - I didn't know very much about Janis Joplin! :)

Blogger Gattina said...
Sorry but never heard of her !

Blogger Dragonheart said...
Interesting facts about Joplin! My human dad lkes her music.

Anonymous Elisa said...
Janis Joplin ruled. Thanks for the educational list!

Blogger tanabata said...
Thanks for visiting. Have a great weekend!

Blogger Robin said...
The Mercedes Benz song has always been my favorite.

And no idea what the significance of Oct. 4 was for Janice, but in our family it's my mom's birthday :).

Blogger Dane Bramage said...
I didn't know most of this except of course for "Me and Bobby Mcgee". Thanks for stopping by my T13.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)