Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Wednesday, October 03, 2007
The Last Welsh Ruler
I didn't go to see my doctor yesterday because I felt much better. But, I will make an appointment for a general check up soon. In the meantime, it's time for me to get back to my contest. There are still three months left in the year and, therefore, in my contest. So, let's get October rolling. . .

Dateline: 13th century Wales
After the murder of his brother, Llewellyn ap Gruffydd, he became the next - and last - Welsh Prince of Wales. Unfortunately, he wasn't any more popular with King Edward I of England than his brother was and it wasn't long before Edward invaded Wales and eventually captured him.

On June 28, 1283, Edward issued writs summoning Parliament into session to determine the Prince of Wales' fate. On September 30, he was the first person condemned to die for what would later become the crime of high treason.

Edward was particularly vindictive when it came to this particular death, devising a slow, agonizing method of execution. It was he who instituted the method of execution for high treason as being "hanged, drawn, and quartered" and this Prince of Wales was the first person known to have been executed in this manner.

This Day in History: October 3, 1283, the last Welsh Prince of Wales is executed. What was his name?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:
Blogger Rachelle said...
Llywelyn ap Gruffydd

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Hi Rachelle. You're close, but that's not who I was looking for. Llewellyn was this person's brother.

Please come back and try again.

Blogger Rachelle said...
Oh, so it must be Dafydd ap Gruffydd

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Right, Rochelle! Thanks for coming back.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)