Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Thursday Thirteen #12

Thirteen Things That Happened The Year I Turned Thirteen

1. January 5 - The first episode of All My Children is broadcast on the ABC television network.
2. February 22 - Guyana becomes a Republic within the Commonwealth of Nations.
3. March 25 - The Concorde makes its first supersonic flight (700 mph/1127 km/h).
4. April 22 - The first Earth Day is celebrated in the U.S.
5. May 4 - Four students at Kent State University in Ohio are killed and 9 wounded by Ohio State National Guardsmen at an anti-war protest.
6. June 10 - President Nixon signs a measure lowering the voting age to 18.
7. July 21 - The Aswan High Dam in Egypt is completed.
8. August 17 - Soviet spacecraft, Venera 7, is launched. It will later becomes the first spacecraft to successfully transmit data from another planet.
9. September 9 - Elvis Presley begins his first concert tour since 1958 in Phoenix, Arizona at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
10. October 5 - The Public Broadcasting Service begins broadcasting.
11. November 9 - Former French President Charles de Gaulle dies
12. December 22 - Franz Stangl, the ex-commander of Treblinka, is sentenced to life imprisonment.
13. Both Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin died this year. It was a sad year for music.

Question: What year was it? Leave your answer in the comments. First one with the correct answer goes into my end of the month drawing.

Labels:

23 Comments:
Blogger Malcolm: said...
Since I am a fan of All My Children, I knew right away that the year was 1970. This was indeed a sad year from music. Along with the deaths of Hendrix and Joplin, The Beatles also broke up that same year.

I don't have a clue.



Mine is up at: 13 Bloomers

Blogger -E said...
Malcolm already got it, but I knew it from the Kent State shootings...something I actually remember from history class haha. It was a Monday too.

Blogger Carolan Ivey said...
1970!

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
dunno--But I am pretty sure a year or two before I was born :-)

Blogger Robin said...
I'm certainly not first (wtg Malcolm), but yup, it was 1970.

Anonymous Mama Pajama said...
What a great idea for a post. I might have to steal your idea.
I was born in 1977...I know Elvis died that August....

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Yep, you're right, Malcolm. I thought it would be something fun and related to my love of history.

Malcolm, yep I knew about the Beatles, too. I wasn't a fan back then, but have come to enjoy some of their songs later in life.

-E - even though I was 13, I only vaguely remember the Kent State shootings, except from history class, too.

Pajama - feel free!!

Thanks to everyone for visiting my TT!

Blogger Qtpies7 said...
1970, the year before I was born.
Congrats on winning my contest!

You turned 13 the same year that I was born - 1970. Which is why I knew most of those things... :)

Great list!

Blogger Tilly Greene said...
I'm not sure why I thought PBS was much older than this...like WWI period, but I did. Interesting list Denise, had my eyes opened on a few things here and I love that :-)

Anonymous Damozel said...
We are just about the same age, I see. I knew it from Kent State as well; I remember hearing about it and not understanding what had happened.

Whoa. I feel young now.

Thanks. I needed that today!

Happy TT, Denise!

Blogger J. Lynne said...
Wow, what a neat list. The question is, did you remember all of those things happening and how did they affect your life?

Blogger Samantha Lucas said...
Ah, but do you know what episode number of AMC airs this week?

I don't either I was just wondering. lol

Blogger Tink said...
Excellent idea for a TT! I might steal it for a future list. :-)
Thanks for visiting my activities TT.

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
qtpies and Deb, you are the same age as my youngest sister. She was born in 1970.

Helene - I'm glad I made someone else feel OLD - usually, I'm the one who feels old on a board.

j.lynne - I don't remember a lot of them. I have only seen a few episodes of AMC, I wasn't into the Beatles, Janis Joplin, or Jimi Hendrix, and many of the things were just not within the consciousness of a 13-year old just starting High School.

Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...
I didn't have a clue without cheating! Google is my friend. :-)

Blogger DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...
Now this is an excellent idea for a TT! I have VAGUE memories of 1970... egads, I'm finally getting old!

Blogger L^2 said...
Interesting list. I might have to borrow this idea sometime. :-)

Thanks for visiting my TT!

Anonymous MissMeliss said...
Wish I'd come here earlier. I was BORN in 1970 :) Great list. And thanks for visiting mine.

Blogger Dragonheart said...
Wow, lots of things happened the year you turned thirteen. Some very good, some not-so-good. I have no idea what year it was, though.

Blogger Sparky Duck said...
well, I didnt know the answer, though I did know it was before I was born ;P

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)