Thirteen Events That Happened On This Day In History
1. The Visigoths sack Rome, thus ending the Roman Empire
2. William Wallace, the "Hammer of the Scots", is put on trial for treason for fighting against the English king, Edward I. He was found guilty; hanged, drawn and quartered.
3. King Olav IV of Norway died.
4. Galileo demonstrates his telescope for the first time.
5. The future Louis XVI of France is born.
6. France creates the first draft, conscripting all unmarried men ages 18 to 25.
7. Great Britain abolishes slavery in all of its colonies.
8. As a precursor to the First Opium War, the British occupy Hong Kong.
9. The first U.S. national women's rights convention is held in Worcester, Massachusetts.
10. Uncle Tom's Cabin
by Harriet Beecher Stowe is published.
11. The Austro-Prussian War ends with the Treaty of Prague.
12. The statue of The Little Mermaid
is unveiled in Copenhagen, Denmark.
13. Japan enters World War I, declaring war on Germany.
Guess the dates for the events above and the two people with the most correct dates will be entered in my monthly prize drawing.
Labels: History Contest, Thursday Thirteen