Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, August 09, 2007
300

A little eye candy never goes amiss, so here's the best I could find for today's question.

Have you seen the movie "300"? I have to admit, I haven't. But, I know the history it's based upon. It was a lost cause, but it was either that or slavery to the Persians, something the Spartans refused to consider.

The Battle of Thermopylae was just one stop on the Persian's road to conquering Greece. After Darius' loss at Marathon years earlier, he was out for revenge. He died before he could exact it, but his son, Xerxes, took up the banner. Historians have said that the Greek force could have held if they hadn't been betrayed, but we will never know. What we do know is that the Persians were eventually beaten and repelled - so the sacrifice of the brave '300' was not in vain.


This Day in History: We don't know the exact day of the battle, but we know it took place around this time. The Battle of Thermopylae took place in what year?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:
Anonymous Ember Case said...
I just picked this up today at Blockbuster - I've heard it's pretty amazing!

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Me, too. I plan to rent it soon since I missed it in the theaters.

Blogger robynl said...
In the Battle of Thermopylae of 480 BC, an alliance of Greek city-states fought the invading Persian Empire at the pass of Thermopylae in central Greece.
I haven't seen the movie yet.

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Woo-hoo, Robyn. Thanks for playing, Robyn.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)