Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Outlaws and Cowboys
When I was a kid, my Mom loved cowboy movies and shows. Maybe it had something to do with being born in Wyoming, but she just loved her "shoot-'em-ups" as she called them. Maybe it's why today I'm only so-so about them. I probably OD'd on them as a kid.

Do you remember these shows: The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Wyatt Earp, Have Gun Will Travel, The Big Valley - and those were just the TV shows. When we moved to Arizona, she fell in love. We spent many days at Old Tucson (before it burned down) and Tombstone. We lived so close that it would have been a shame not to have experienced them.

Now that I live in Utah, I enjoy going down to Kanab - a place I'd never heard of before I came here, but where they filmed many Old West shows, including the majority of the episodes of Gunsmoke.

Funny thought for today: How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

Which leads to today's This Day in History fact. On April 3, 1882, Jesse James was killed in his home in St. Joseph, Missouri. I suppose whether it was a murder or assassination depends on your view of him. My Mom would have definitely labeled it an assassination. But, I digress. Today's question is: Who did it?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:
Blogger robynl said...
his cousin Bob Ford

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Nothing I read said that Bob was his cousin, but you're right that Bob Ford was the one who shot him.

Blogger Jamie said...
Robyn, Here is some of the song that goes with it. If you look quite a ways back on my blog, you will see the story of when I kissed Wyatt Earp (or at least Hugh O'Brien who played him)

Poor Jesse had a wife to mourn for his life,
Three children they were brave,
But that dirty little coward that shot Mister Howard
Has laid poor Jesse in his grave.

It was Robert Ford, that dirty little coward,
I wonder how does he feel?
For he ate of Jesse's bread and he slept in Jesse's bed,
Then laid poor Jesse in his grave.

The people held their breath when they heard of Jesse's death
And wondered how he ever came to die.
It was one of the gang called little Robert Ford
Who shot poor Jesse on the sly.

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Wow, Jamie. I'd never heard that song before. Thanks for dropping by and "educating" us.

Blogger robynl said...
I had never seen this song before either. Thanks.

Blogger Marcia said...
I don't know who did it, well, unless I cheat and read the answer posted next to the comment box. I grew up watching all those programs, but don't watch any shoot 'em ups or beat 'em ups now. I hope I don't start singing the theme songs now.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)