Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Monday, March 12, 2007
Trefoils and Cookies
On my honor, I will try
To do my duty
To God and my country
To help other people at all times
And to obey the Girl Scout Laws.

Ahhh, memories. I have great memories of being a Girl Scout. Although I was never a Brownie because they didn't have them where I lived when I was that age, by the time I was old enough to be a Junior Girl Scout, we had moved to a place with a troop. Some of my fondest and most hilarious memories come from Girl Scout outings - particularly campouts.

Of course, scouting has changed dramatically since then. The pledge above has been rewritten. And the 12 Girl Scout Laws have been compressed into one long one. It still says nearly the same thing, but it's not the numbered list we had to memorize. Needless to say, I don't remember them as well as I remembered the pledge.

I still have my sash with all the badges carefully sewn on as well as my old handbooks. They might be worth something to collectors if I hadn't written in them, but, oh well. My years as a Girl Scout helped shaped who I am now. I just wish my daughter had been interested in joining when she was old enough. She doesn't know what she missed.

Today in History: Juliette Gordon Low began the first Girl Guide troop that would eventually become the Girl Scouts on March 12, 1912. The picture above is her birthplace, which is now the National Girl Scout Museum. Where is it located?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:
Blogger robynl said...
Juliette Gordon Low, founder of Girl Scouts of the USA, was born Juliette Magill Kinzie Gordon on October 31, 1860, in Savannah, Georgia.

Blogger Grace Tyler said...
Fwapping by to make sure Denise isn't lonely in cyberspace!

Hugs!

Blogger Amelia Elias said...
I was also a Brownie and a Girl Scout, and I remember we used to bake the cookies we sold. I've told people that and they said, "No, they haven't done that for 50+ years!" But we did! I swear!

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Wow, Robyn. I didn't know all that about Juliette Low. Well, I did know she was born on "Halloween" because we always had parties in our GS troops around Halloween, but I never knew she had all those middle names.

Gee, Amelia, you must me older than me cuz I definitely don't remember baking our own cookies!

*waving at Grace* Hiya, lady. How are ya doin'? Good to see ya. Don't be a stranger.

Blogger hotmama said...
ok first a hello. I too was a girl scout and I remember some of it fondly. we also sold cookies, but we didn't bake them,they were made by a big company and shipped to us. If you lived in a rural area and they didn't ship to you direct in one drop point I can see how your leaders had you bake your own. but what did you do for boxes Amy?
Denise, my daughter was a brownie but she wasn't too happy and stopped before jr girl scouts.

Blogger Nell Dixon said...
I was a brownie and a girl guide. Here we don't do cookies.

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Ooooh, good question, Hotmama. Amelia, what DID you do for boxes?

Nell, you don't know what you missed not having to sell cookies. Now, you decide whether that's sarcasm or not!

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)