Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Thursday, March 08, 2007
International Women's Day
International Women's Day is marked on this day every year. It is a major day of global celebration for the economic, political and social achievements of women. Started as a political event, the holiday blended in the culture of many countries, primarily Russia and the countries of former Soviet bloc.

In some celebrations, the day lost its political flavor, and became simply an occasion for men to express their sympathy and love to the women around them. In others, however, the political and human rights theme as designated by the United Nations runs strong, and political and social awareness of the struggles of women worldwide are brought out and examined in a hopeful manner.

The above paragraphs are copied, with minor alterations, directly from Wikipedia. Click on the link to read the entire article. It is fascinating.

So, to honor women everywhere, today is a free for all. Post a little something about a woman who has touched your life and you will go into the drawing at the end of the month. Everyone who posts today will be entered.

My grandmother was a person who influenced me. At a time when women were mainly wives and homemakers, she was widowed in 1935 at the age of 25 with four young children. My aunt was the youngest at just four months old. With her family unable to help and jobs nonexistent in Rock Springs, WY, she put the children in a Catholic Orphanage and went to California to find work. All turned out well and she was eventually able to reclaim her children and build a decent life for them - but there is no doubt the road was rocky. As a teenager, I remember thinking that her views with regard to race, religion, and opportunities were too narrow, but now I look back on that time in history and realize that she was a product of her time and experiences. There were many things she could or could not do back then that today we take for granted. Sometimes, when life gets tough and setbacks happen, I remember that the women who have gone before me had much worse struggles to overcome and I'm thankful they did.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:
Blogger robynl said...
My Mom, now deceased, touched my life. We didn't always get along but she was someone who spoke without having to speak. She was genuine, concerned, always put on a good face and so very helpful to anyone that needed help. She tried to teach me to not worry so much but I still am learning or at least trying to learn that.

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
I know how you feel, Robyn. My Mom passed away nearly 20 years ago and I still miss her. But, the lessons I learned from her I have never forgotten.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)