Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
"I left my heart. . ."
Well, I didn't really leave my heart in San Francisco. Although I was born there and lived there until age nine, I'm fine with only going back to visit family occasionally. Cold, foggy and damp is not my ideal weather.

Many of the memories I have are of The Presidio. If you've read my initial post on this blog about myself, you'll know I was an Army brat (and proud of it!!), which meant spending lots of time at The Presidio. It was a beautiful place, situated on the Bay. I remember playing on the beach while my Mom shopped (yes, there was a fence there, but what's a fence to a determined eight-year-old?), and spending time just walking around the Post as we went from building to building doing whatever it was Mom needed doing.

Although closed now, since 1994, much of the area that was The Presidio is still open to the public. There are some areas that are private, and many of the old homes (see the picture) have been rented out, but regardless, it is still a beautiful place. If you're ever in San Francisco, a drive or walk through would be well worth it.

Letterman Army Medical Center (previously Letterman Army Hospital) no longer exists. In it's place is now the Letterman Digital Arts Center - the brain child of George Lucas. I suppose I ought to be happy they kept the name, but telling someone I was born on the site of what is now a Digital Arts Center just doesn't cut it.

This Day in History: The Presidio was originally a Spanish fort sited by Juan Bautista de Anza on this day in what year?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:
Blogger robynl said...
March 28 , 1776

Anonymous Kristin said...
"I suppose I ought to be happy they kept the name, but telling someone I was born on the site of what is now a Digital Arts Center just doesn't cut it."

LOL! The hospital where my mother was born is now the site of a pizza parlor, and we have yet to stop razzing her about that!

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
OK, I'll stop complaining now. Did the pizza parlor keep the name, Kristin?

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)