Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Reading History, Part I
I really love reading history. I have my favorite time periods and countries, but a well written book, story, even treatise will pull me into any time period. Recently I read some stuff on Martin Luther - y'know, the monk that single-handedly started the Reformation. He didn't really, but the publication of his 95 Theses was the flashpoint that brought all the unrest and discontent with the Catholic Church to a head. One might think he was a nice, pious, gentle man. One would be wrong. He was not a very nice man at all. As one article I read said, "You would not want to invite him home for dinner."

But, to give some credit where it is due, we might not have Protestant churches today if he hadn't stood up against what he believed to be wrong and unbiblical. Or, at least, those churches might be very different. So, in his honor, our fact today is about him.

Today in History: Martin Luther is excommunicated by Pope Leo X by the issuance of a papal bull on this date in what year?

Do you have a favorite time in History to read about - or do you read just about anything?

9 Comments:
Blogger Jeanette J said...
the year 1520

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Just off, Jeanette. Try again.

Blogger Laura Hamby said...
1517

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Jeanette's closer. Guess again!

Blogger Laura Hamby said...
I realized last night, I'd remembered the question incorrectly, but when I tried to repost a new answer, Blogger refused to show me the word verification letters!

My new guess: 1519

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Almost there, Laura.

Blogger Laura Hamby said...
1521, 1522, 1523...

Bwahahahaha.

Blogger Laura Hamby said...
Am I right yet? How about left? ;)

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Congratulations, Laura.

In 1521, Pope Leo X issued the Papal Bull that officially excommunicated Martin Luther from the Catholic Church.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)