Denise's Den
Welcome to the den of Historical and Inspirational Romance Author, Denise Patrick
Come on in, curl up with a good book (hopefully one of mine), and stay awhile.
Monday, January 15, 2007
Coronations
I don't sit still well. I have a difficult enough time sitting still for an hour to an hour and a half for church every Sunday - despite my interest and avid following of the proceedings. I would not have handled a coronation. They last for HOURS! With all the ceremony - religious service, singing, swearing of fealty, more music, more swearing, and everything else - involved in crowning a monarch, I would have been napping in the pew. Although, maybe if I was important enough to be invited in the first place, I might be used to the pomp and ceremony enough not to fall asleep.

Reading about them, however, is fascinating. For instance, did you know that when Pope Leo III crowned Charlemagne on Christmas Day in 800, the Emperor was not only surprised, he was angry? Unfortunately, the Pope had planned well so there was little Charlemagne could do but be graceful about his good fortune.

When William the Conqueror was crowned in 1066, also on Christmas Day, it was the first time the coronation of an English monarch was held in Westminster Abbey.

Edward I had a chair specially created to hold the Stone of Scone - Scotland's coronation stone - which he captured in 1296.

In 1377, Richard I was the first monarch to have a public procession to Westminster Abbey for his coronation.

This Day in History: Queen Elizabeth I introduced English into the previously all-Latin ceremony, scandalizing many of the Bishops. The Archbishop of Canterbury refused to crown her because of it, so she was crowned by the Bishop of Carlisle instead. What year was it?
2 Comments:
Blogger Debby said...
She was crowned in 1559. I am not sure why I am doing this. I hardly ever win these things.

Blogger Denise Patrick said...
Well, I hope you continue - or I'll be very lonely and have no one to give my prizes to. *ggg*

And, you're right again.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:
Create a Link
Contact Me
Email me at
denisepatrick @ gmail.com
(sans spaces, of course)